Friday, January 8, 2010

WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS??


Last night I was spending a typical evening in my bedroom on the computer, and watching TV. At about 8:20 there was a flicker and all the power went out. About 10 seconds later it came back on again, but within a split second it was off. I could not believe how dark it was. I could not see a thing and immediately thought of the old movie with Audrey Hepburn & George Peppard called "Wait Until Dark". It was a very scary movie in the 70's where the power goes out and Audrey Hepburn is in the house alone....
I felt my way to the kitchen (thank goodness my house is small) and made my way to my trusty emergency drawer where I keep my batteries, candles, lighter, matches, etc. I found the candles but could not find the lighter. I felt around on the counter for my phone and flipped it open so I at least had the light from my phone. I lit the two candles and hurried downstairs to get my flashlight. I opened the front door and was relieved that all the power was out everywhere and it was just not my house.

I talked to a couple of my neighbors and called my friend Pam to see if her power was out (it wasn't) and went back inside where it was warm. I was amazed at the number of candles I have when I started collecting all of them and lighting them. My living room was lit up and I felt secure. I called Megan and talked to her for awhile to kill some time. The power came back on after about an hour.

This morning I found out the cause! CRAZY CRAZY TURKEY!!!

About 17,000 customers of the Sacramento Municipal Utility District in Folsom were without power for slightly less than an hour Thursday night.
The outage was reported at 8:17 p.m. for parts of Folsom that include areas near Blue Ravine Road and Oak Avenue Parkway.
SMUD spokesman Clint Swett said a turkey caused a short in a high voltage line near Folsom Prison. Power was restored to customers at 9:10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment