Sunday, January 17, 2010

D I E T I N G

Oh boy - Oh boy it is that time of year again when I re-dedicate myself and swear that I am going to lose that extra weight I keep carrying around. It seems that I have been on some kind of diet for as long as I can remember. Let's see now.....


In high school I used to wear a tight elastic belt around my waist under my dress (in those days you could only wear a dress to school - no pants), so my waist would look smaller. When I got home from school I would take it off and there would be welts that were caused from the tight belt. Unfortunately, I have never really had a waist because I am built like a boy - straight up and down with no curves! I do have a nice bubble butt though, just what every white girl wants!!


As I became an adult the only time I can remember being thin was when I was depressed and couldn't eat. When I was going through my bout with infertility, I was really thin (107 pounds). Don't ever want to be that depressed again and haven't since. I do remember going to a gym called Eileen Feathers in the 70's that had vibrating belts that jiggled your flab.


I went there religiously with some of my phone company co-workers two nights a week.

There was also a thing called a twister that was a round disc that you stood on and twisted on (thus the name Twister).



We had a mini tramp that I exercised on too but mostly the kids played on it.



Also in the 70's & 80's I tried these diet fads:
Ayds - A chocolate or caramel candy appetite suppressant.
Slender - A pre-SlimFast drink, and also came in bars.

Once I started having babies I was lucky enough not to gain a lot of pregancy weight - 23 pounds with Megan, 26 pounds with Shauna and only 19 pounds with Jordan. I'm not sure why, but it probably had something to do with the fact that when I was pregnant I only craved healthy foods. After I gave birth and was nursing I dropped all the weight very quickly but after about 6 months it all came back again with a little extra.

I used to jog around the neighborhood with a couple of my neighbors, which I really did not enjoy doing at all. I have tried Curves and many, many exercise videos over the years. I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I enjoy is walking so that is what I do now for exercise.

I have been on the following diets over the last 20+ years:

Jenny Craig
Weight Watchers
Slim Fast
The Stewardess Diet
Kaiser Diet

and many many more that I can't think of....

Well I am on another diet that I started on January 4th and so far I have dropped 8 pounds. I am bound and determined to take off 20 pounds and keep them off for a year until my body decides that is what I am supposed to weigh and leaves me alone (yeah right!) As I have gotten older I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be thin and that is okay. Nobody really cares or looks at me anyway so why should I care!! The only reason why is because I have noticed that because of all the crap I eat (candy, cookies, cake, brownies, french fries, pizza, etc. etc.) I have started getting heartburn - something I have never had before and also my clothes do not fit me anymore and I can't afford to buy new ones so here I go again.... Right now I am eating lean meat, fruit and vegetables. I have not had any sweets, bread or dairy for two weeks! Am I craving them? Of course I am but it is getting easier and I feel so much better - no more heartburn and my pants are not so tight anymore. So I am going to stick this out for another four weeks and then go on a maintenance diet for three weeks after that.

This is where you will find me every morning, biting my lower lip and crossing my fingers!!


Wish me luck... I am going to need it!!

1 comment: