Saturday, April 27, 2013

Curtis Park Home Tour

Today I went on the Curtis Park Home Tour with family on the Wells side.  My grandparents bought this home in 1920 and lived here until their deaths in 1968 and 1969.  This is the home that our family visited every Sunday for as long as I can remember.  All my aunts, uncles and cousins were there all together every Sunday afternoon.  We spent all holidays there as well.  The house was just completely redone and not at all the same home that I loved and remembered so well.  It is very modernized now and beautiful but I wish they would have kept some of the old charm.  There were before pictures posted and my heart broke a little seeing them and looking at how everything has changed.  I am glad that I went and enjoyed seeing my brother and sister-in-law and my cousins.  We went to Gunthers Ice Cream after the tour for old times sake.  It was a fun day!!  (I know Grandmother and Dad would not approve of all the changes!)  There was a write up in the Sacramento Bee today all about the home and the tour.

My grandparents in the late 50's in their patio.  There is now a pool, fountain and outdoor seating area.

This is the home in 50's the way I remember it


Top left - My brother Russ and me
Top right my brother and Gail, my cousin Butch's wife
Bottom Left - Russ, Gail and Butch
Bottom right- the four cousins, Marcia, Russ, Amy and Butch
(There were a total of 11 cousins - 5 are now deceased)

The front of the house as it is today.  Quite a change.  It was neat having the old 20 cars parked outside

More views of the front of the house.
Bottom right - this was in the entrance of the house telling a little about my grandparents

The whole gang!



Every Sunday Dad (our grandfather) would give us a dime and during the summer months the cousins would walk the four blocks to Gunthers and get a ice cream cone (I don't remember this too well since I was the youngest cousin and was not old enough to go with the other cousins but I have heard the stories.)


No comments:

Post a Comment